Monday, July 06, 2020, 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Why Parents by Choice?
Organizations like ours spend a lot of time talking about WHAT we do. That’s easy to explain. A harder question is about our HOW – the things that make us different from another agency. But even more challenging is to talk about our WHY – the reason we exist and the belief behind everything we do.
At Parents by Choice, our WHY can be stated like this: We are passionate about kids and families, and will do whatever it takes to help solve the problems they face. This belief drives us to be creative problem-solvers, to do our work with excellence and to go beyond what is expected.
Parents by Choice (PbC) was founded in 2006 as a “Foster Family Agency,” an
organization that was built to serve the needs of children and youth in the child welfare system. Along the way, we realized that this single program wasn’t enough – we needed to do more to support vulnerable children and families!
Starting in 2011, we began to add programs around this original foster care idea. These additional programs didn’t come as a result of market research or because we needed to increase our budget. They were built to address the needs of the children and families we serve. For example:
- We wanted to help prevent children from ever entering foster care, so in 2012, we created the Positive Parenting Program to educate and support families.
- Too many foster children were languishing in the foster care system. So we became licensed as an adoption agency, to help them find permanency.
- Many of our youth would exit the foster care system without any support.
These youth were at risk of becoming incarcerated or homeless. So in 2017, we became licensed to provide transitional housing for youth aged 18-21. Now these youth can continue to receive services and support from our team while living independently.
- Every youth in foster care has experienced trauma. And yet these youth often lack the timely mental health services they need. So, in 2019, we became certified to provide mental health services. Today, our youth receive excellent care from highly qualified and licensed PbC clinicians.
These are just some examples of how our agency lives out the PbC WHY. I’m proud to be on a team that cares so deeply about the people we serve! From administrative staff to clinicians and social workers, the PbC team lives out the “whatever it takes” motto on a daily basis.
Through the Years
Parents by Choice (PbC) was founded in 2006 by Tony Yadon, who envisioned an agency where children would be the “big deal” and where families would be part of the professional team.
Here are a few highlights:
- 2006– PbC is incorporated & opens an office on Kelley Drive in Stockton.
- 2007– PbC was licensed as a Foster Family Agency by the State of California. First children were placed in February 2007.
- 2009– Now with a staff of 5, the agency moves to Murray Drive in Stockton and is accredited by the California Alliance (www.cacfs.org).
- 2012– PbC wins a competitive bid process to begin the Positive Parenting Program, with funding from San Joaquin County Behavioral Health Services. PbC applies to become a licensed Adoption agency.
- 2013 – The agency, with a staff of 20, moves to March Lane in Stockton.
- 2014 – PbC wins a competitive bid process to begin an Intensive Treatment Foster Care program (now called Intensive Services Foster Care), to serve kids at risk of entering institutional care.
- 2016– Supervised Visitation program begins, in partnership with SJ County Family Court, to serve families experiencing separation and/or divorce.
- 2017 – PbC is licensed as a Transitional Housing (THP+FC) provider. This program will serve foster youth from 18-21 by allowing them to live independently.
- 2017 – Positive Parenting Program was named “San Joaquin County Child Abuse Prevention Program of the Year.” Adoption license was granted, after 5 ½ years of work.
- 2018 – PbC achieves national accreditation from The Council on Accreditation (COA). Honored as an “Actions on Behalf of Children” recipient from the Family Resource and Referral Center of San Joaquin County. Wins a competitive bid process to bring the Positive Parenting Program to Solano County, with funding from First5 Solano.
- 2019 – PbC merges with Safe Harbor Family Services, giving the agency
families, staff and an office in Modesto, CA. The Positive Parenting Program expands again – now serves more than 900 families per year. PbC begins providing Mental Health services in San Joaquin County.
- 2020 – School Based Mental Health program begins, contracted through San Joaquin County Behavioral Health. This branch of the agency’s mental health program will serve four high schools in Stockton
At Parents by Choice we pride ourselves in doing unusual things to enhance the lives of our kids. We believe our kids and families deserve our creativity, commitment and best effort. If you would like to become a part of the Parents by Choice team, as a foster parent, volunteer or staff member, please contact us. We would love to hear from you!