Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Parents by Choice (PbC) was started in 2006 by Tony Yadon, a social worker with experience in California’s foster care system. He was interested in starting an organization whose priorities were drawn from the needs of children and families. In short, he envisioned an agency where children would be the “big deal,” and where families would be part of the professional team.
Along with a like-minded Board of Directors, Tony filed the initial paperwork in June 2006. Hava White was hired in April 2007, to bring the employee total to two. She remains as part of the leadership team to this day.
Here are a few highlights:
- 2006– PbC is incorporated & opens an office on Kelley Drive in Stockton.
- 2007– PbC was licensed as a Foster Family Agency by the State of California. First children were placed in February 2007.
- 2009– Now with a staff of 5, the agency moves to Murray Drive in Stockton and is accredited by the California Alliance (www.cacfs.org).
- 2012– PbC wins a competitive bid process to begin the Positive Parenting Program, with funding from San Joaquin County Behavioral Health Services. PbC applies to become a licensed Adoption agency.
- 2013 – The agency, with a staff of 20, moves to March Lane in Stockton.
- 2014 – PbC wins a competitive bid process to begin an Intensive Treatment Foster Care program (now called Intensive Services Foster Care), to serve kids at risk of entering institutional care.
- 2016– Supervised Visitation program begins, in partnership with SJ County Family Court, to serve families experiencing separation and/or divorce.
- 2017 – PbC is licensed as a Transitional Housing (THP+FC) provider. This program will serve foster youth from 18-21 by allowing them to live independently.
- 2017 – Positive Parenting Program was named “San Joaquin County Child Abuse Prevention Program of the Year.” Adoption license was granted, after 5 ½ years of work.
- 2018 – PbC achieves national accreditation from The Council on Accreditation (COA). Honored as an “Actions on Behalf of Children” recipient from the Family Resource and Referral Center of San Joaquin County. Wins a competitive bid process to bring the Positive Parenting Program to Solano County, with funding from First5 Solano.
- 2019 – PbC begins merger process with Safe Harbor Family Services of Modesto.
At Parents by Choice we pride ourselves in doing unusual things to enhance the lives of our kids. We believe our kids and families deserve our creativity, commitment and best effort. If you would like to become a part of the Parents by Choice team, as a foster parent, volunteer or staff member, please contact us. We would love to hear from you!